Sunday, January 15, 2006

Shawna's Mom's 65th Bday - Louisiana - Jan 2006

Hannelore Dubroc (Shawna's Mom) as a Baby
And, Hannelore at 65
For Shawna's mom's 65th birthday, we decided to host a birthday party for her.  We invited over 30 of her friends (who all came) and held the event in the private dining room at the Red River Grill in Marksville, LA, which is her mom's favorite restaurant.  Many of her local friends came, most of whom are part of the supper club that she belongs to (Jimmy, Dardene, Mike, Diane, Linda, Jean, Henry, Peggy, Carole, Bertie Lee, Dan, Virginia, Ashley, Brenda and Joe).  And a few of her out of town friends came as well (Dorothy, Warren, Jim, Betty, and Keith's parents - Jean and Dick).  Of course, Nicole and Danny were also there as they co-hosted the event with Shawna and Keith.

Shawna, Keith, Jean and Dick (Keith's Parents)
Carole, Diane and Hannelore
Jimmy, Dardene and Jean


The Cake
During the day, Keith, Shawna, Danny and Nicole decorated the restaurant and ran errands in preparation for the event.  Everyone arrived for dinner on time.  During the cocktail hour, everyone mingled and had a few drinks.  We had a slide show playing in the background of photos of Shawna's mother -- some from her childhood and many of her with the family throughout the years.  We then sat down for dinner where everyone had a choice of a few entrees.  For dessert, we served a cake that had a photo of Shawna's mom in the icing.  During dinner, both Danny and Shawna gave speeches, toasting their mom.

Dorothy, Betty, Warren and Jim
On Sunday, Shawna's mom hosted a lunch at her house, mainly for the out of town guests, although a few local friends were also invited.  She had it catered with some yummy cajun dishes and there were plenty of cake options for dessert.

Joe and Brenda
Danny and Nicole
It was a great event.  It had been many years since Shawna's mom had a real birthday party so she was so happy to be able to celebrate with her friends.

Copy of Shawna's Toast to Her Mom:
First, I’d like to thank you all for coming tonight – it means so much to have you here to celebrate mom’s birthday. Many of you have known my mom since she first moved to Louisiana about 34 years ago.  In fact, most of you in this room have changed my diaper at some point.  You can probably remember that she came with a thick German accent and a really tall bee-hive hairstyle and had never seen crawfish before.  I think a lot has changed since then – she’s finally seen a crawfish! Mom told me that I was not allowed to “roast” her tonight, which is a shame since I have close to 35 years of material that I could use. On a more serious note, I can remember as I child that I used to tell her that I would never move away and would live in a house next door to her once I grew up.  Keith, don’t worry – that’s not going to happen!  Although, I didn’t keep that promise, I have remained close to her in many other ways.  No matter where I’ve lived or traveled to, she has been there by my side, providing advice and guidance and sometimes just listening (although that’s been rare as a mother always has advice to provide).  I may not have always taken her advice but I always appreciate receiving it! Mom, by the attendance here tonight, I think you can see how many people truly enjoy your company and appreciate your friendship.  I wrote something for you in German -- Vielen Dank, für eine wunderbare Mutter zu sein. Ich liebe Sie sehr viel! We wish you many more healthy and happy years filled with fond memories!   Happy Birthday, Mom!
Ed and Hannelore
Danny and Shawna

No comments:

Post a Comment